Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Most of my bearfriends are staying warm inside caves or other people's backpacks, but not me!  I am sunning myself on the rooftop of a crazy cool hotel in Dubai. 
That's right, I've once again hopped a plane and landed in a new place.  Dubai is in the Middle East, and is the place to be in between Europe and Asia.  I got to spend some time with locals, and I learned quite a bit!
At first I was nervous about coming here--you know, because I don't wear any clothes.   I was worried I would need to cover up completely.  I quickly found out that everyone is accepted here.  There are people  from all over the world here!  Many of my new British friends vacation here because it is so warm.  I met lots of people from India who work and live here.  I even made friends with a couple of llamas who live in the desert!  Don't let their image fool you--llamas are actually quite friendly.
Dubai as a city feels very new, and there is more new construction than I've seen anywhere.  If I were an architect, I would be very happy here, because it seems like a playground for new ideas in building and structure.  Most people live in high rise condo buildings, rather than in houses with big yards like I was used to in the United States.  
I am convinced that if imagination were a bear, he would make his home here!  They've built a man-made marina, an indoor ski mountain with real snow, and the tallest building in the world!  Across the bay is Atlantis, the biggest hotel in the world.  They built an island in the shape of a giant palm tree and are in the process of building another resort that resembles the entire world.  I've heard that once it's finished, people can come back and decide which country they want to stay in and then enjoy a hotel room in their specific "country!"  
There is so much to see and do here, so I will write more soon!  In the meantime, I am going to go convince Maika to buy me Rosetta Stone so I can learn to read and write Arabic...

No comments:

Post a Comment