Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Across the Pond!

I was right! That prolonged journey stuffed inside a bigger suitcase than normal was worth it!  I left North Carolina and landed in England!

Once my eyes adjusted from the dark and I got away from the smelly jeans I was squished up against I realized what a cool part of the world this is.

We landed at London Heathrow airport.  It's a huge place with people coming and going to every corner of the world.  From there we drove (on the wrong side of the road) two hours north to a small town called Lakenheath.  Maika's husband Scott is in the Air Force and he is now stationed at RAF Lakenheath.  "RAF" stands for "Royal Air Force."  I thought Maika was just joking when she said she carried a crown with her and sometimes asked for people to bow.  Apparently she does have royal ties.  Maybe if I play my cards right she'll introduce me to the Queen.

I have so much to learn about England!  Currently I'm living in a hotel on base, but if Maika and Scott ever take my advice on where to live, rumor has it we will move into a permanent home in one of the surrounding towns. 

Everything here is so old and historic.  I almost can't believe any of it is real because it all looks like what you find in a fairy tale.  I'm pretty sure my ancestors were the real bears from Goldilocks, which certainly took place close.  They even call oatmeal "porridge," so it has to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment