Monday, October 10, 2011

Asheville Continued

The Biltmore Estate was so huge it deserves two posts. 

According to our tour guide, George Vanderbilt built this house as a way to do something truly great with all the money his father left him from the railroad business.  It took one thousand men six years to build it, and the entire time George never told his family what he was doing!  I guess when they all live far away and phones and internet aren't popular, you can keep a secret like that! 

The house opened on Christmas Day of 1895.  Today it looks like a castle you might find in Europe, so just think about what it must have looked like when it first opened! 

I wanted to stay and move into one of the 250 rooms (including 34 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces), but Maika promised there was more adventure still to come.  We spent a few more days exploring Asheville.  It's a really cool artsy place with plenty of things to see.  We even climbed up a trail to a waterfall that was so beautiful I thought it was from a movie.  And it was!  Maika said something about a movie called The Last of the Mohicans that has a famous waterfall scene.  Can you believe it?  I was at that waterfall!

Our trip to Asheville was great and I would love to go back.  But pretty soon I was back in my seat in the suitcase.  It's been a long trip in here so far and it's very dark.  My bear watch (which is always accurate) is telling me this flight is going on 7 hours, so we must be headed somewhere far far away.  Stay tuned to find out where I go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment