Saturday, February 25, 2012

Garmisch, Germany

It's time I admit something.  I am not as talented as I thought I was when it comes to skiing.  But the German Alps are certainly the place to try!

We flew from London to Munich, Germany, a flight that went very quickly despite the one carry-on bag rule that left me squished against a travel size deodorant and questionably fashionable ski suspenders.  From there we took a train to the Munich Haptbaunhaf.  I knew this was the main train station, because I speak eloquent German.  I once spent a trans-Atlantic journey in the cargo hold next to a shipment of Nutcrackers.  They are generous language teachers.  We rode the train through the countryside all the way to the mountains, which were beautiful!

I've only ever seen the Rockies before, but the Alps have to be some of the prettiest mountains ever.  The tiny town we stayed in looked every bit like the postcard I had imagined, quaint and warm with plenty of mountain village details.

The best part of the whole trip, beyond the excellent chocolate, was when Maika and Scott took me skiing on the final run of the day.  We went all the way to the top of the mountain, where it looked exactly like the inside of a snowglobe someone had shaken up a lot.  We stayed in a bed & breakfast at the top and warmed up for a while and when we left to ski down everyone was gone!  We were the only ones on the mountain, and the fresh snow was falling!  The moment we came around the final corner we could see the whole village lit up like a scene from a story book.  I finally understand why humans like to strap those silly skis to their feet and attempt to travel downhill.  It was beautiful!









No comments:

Post a Comment